[ten odd things about me]
1. I have a sort of sub-Tourette neurological tickiness that lodges words in my head and creates an uncomfortable, distracting pressure to blurt them (which I sometimes do within a nonsense sentence, to make it seem less weird). Those who've known me a long time can probably recite a list of the most frequently recurring words. This is worse when I'm tense, as during my last couple of months at STV, when a little ditty with the lyric "So hard to give a shit / So hard to give a shit" (in an Eastern European accent) ran constantly through my head all day at work.
2. When I was younger, it surprised me to learn that not everyone wanted to be a writer and make books.
3. I'm obsessed with Central Asia.
4. I don't own any Legos because I'm afraid if I did, I'd never do anything else.
5. I get my hair cut by people with stripper names.
6. When I was a kid, I always wore out the left knees on all my pants; later, I had surgery on that knee for a torn meniscus. Coincidence? Who knows?
7. I harbor a fantasy that my maternal grandmother is decended from Romanian Gypsies.
8. Sweet mixed drinks make me queasy, but I'm fine if I have a glass of juice and shot of liquor separately.
9. When I eat cold cheese, especially cream cheese, on something warm and bready, my face feels flushed and sweaty, but it doesn't change appearance.
10. Though I grew up in Marin, I've never been to Alcatraz or walked the Golden Gate Bridge.