[the palaverist]

Monday, April 02, 2007

[facing reality]

I guess most of the folks who need to be told in person have been told in person, so I am relieved to be able to discuss here some of what has been going on in my life.

Over the last month, I have been facing the reality that I am an addict. I have quit smoking pot and drinking, as well as some of my other obsessive and unhealthy habits. I am going to Twelve-Step Meetings and working with a therapist to overcome my addictions, deal with the underlying issues and begin the long, challenging, crucial work of spiritual and moral growth.

There are issues of broken trust that Jenny and I are working through, and we will be spending some time apart over the coming month in order to deal with that, and we are committed to coming together again afterward to work on strengthening our relationship.

I can't say what the end result of any of this will be. I can't make promises. I can say that every day for the last 25 days, I have been deeply committed to the path of recovery and healing, and that is also true for today. It hasn't been easy, and it won't be, but it's good. I'm certain of that.

If you're a friend or family member and I haven't told you directly, please understand that I have not at all intended to slight you. Indeed, I would really appreciate hearing from you, and I would be happy to discuss these issues in greater detail in person. Jenny could also use your friendship.

In the meantime, you can enjoy this little sobriety counter I've set up for myself. I like looking at it and seeing it tick upwards. I am committed to doing nothing today that will require me to reset it. Tomorrow? I'll work that out when it gets here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure what to say, but I'm thinking about you and wishing you all the best as you do this hard work. *hugs*

11:30 PM  
Blogger [the palaverist] said...

Thanks.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

[sing along with buffy]
[revs/cost]
[language troubles]
[the truth]
[a year of korean]
[why my grandparents are the coolest]
[orthodoxy]
[how black is obama?]
[taxing]
[dearth]
Older

Events

New York Buddhist Gcal

Please Donate

[UNICEF]
[Seva Foundation]
[CARE]
[Médicins Sans Frontieres]
[RAWA]

Friends

Ambiguous
Robin's group blog.

Bits of Bliss
Things to be happy about. Add your own!

Blissfully Emparadoxed
T's personal blog.

Kate's l337 Journal
All you ever wanted to know about lung transplants and Star Wars.

La Roja Viaje
A blog about training ESL teachers in Kuwait.

Miriamjoyce
Blog of journalist Miriam Joyce.

Pagan Mom
The trials and tribulations of raising Josh's Pagan godson.

Polenblog
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Polenbergs, ever.

She Changes Everything She Touches
Rebecca's personal blog.