[the palaverist]

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

[thailand in crisis]

In 23 days, I am planning to fly into an airport that, at the moment, is being occupied and shut down by a protest group called the People's Alliance for Democracy.

This is not good.

I expect that this situation will be resolved in 23 days. I will almost certainly go ahead with my trip. But it's unnerving, and I'm stuck with the lingering worry that the situation will worsen, and then what'll I do? I've already bought the ticket.

I've been down something like this road before. The day after I arrived in Nepal in 2002, King Gyanendra dismissed the prime minister and dissolved the parliament. There was some tension, but it all seemed to be happening above the heads of average Nepalis.

This PAD situation in Bangkok is much more serious. And it's growing into a standoff, with no easy end in sight. And so, from an incredibly selfish perspective, I worry about my vacation.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Previous Posts

[wheels and straps]
[dreaming of fluorescent pepsi in the night]
[change]
[regarding the posting of open letters in the comm...
[google pride]
[mafia laundry]
[war ... delicious war]
[online chats with kim jong-il]
[vito's coming back]
[no opinion about me]
Older

Events

New York Buddhist Gcal

Please Donate

[UNICEF]
[Seva Foundation]
[CARE]
[Médicins Sans Frontieres]
[RAWA]

Friends

Ambiguous
Robin's group blog.

Bits of Bliss
Things to be happy about. Add your own!

Blissfully Emparadoxed
T's personal blog.

Kate's l337 Journal
All you ever wanted to know about lung transplants and Star Wars.

La Roja Viaje
A blog about training ESL teachers in Kuwait.

Miriamjoyce
Blog of journalist Miriam Joyce.

Pagan Mom
The trials and tribulations of raising Josh's Pagan godson.

Polenblog
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Polenbergs, ever.

She Changes Everything She Touches
Rebecca's personal blog.